[CentOS] Upgrade

Robert Heller heller at deepsoft.com
Sat Jun 19 00:47:02 UTC 2010

> <head>
> </head>
> <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:m.roth at 5-cent.us">m.roth at 5-cent.us</a> wrote:
>  cite="mid:40c4699fc9f09a3b67e6c69636e41b14.squirrel at host290.hostmonster.com"
>  type="cite">
>   <pre wrap="">Whit Blauvelt wrote:
>   </pre>
>     <pre wrap="">On Fri, Jun 18, 2010 at 02:29:32PM -0400, <a class="moz-txt-link-abbreviated" href="mailto:m.roth at 5-cent.us">m.roth at 5-cent.us</a> wrote:
>
>     </pre>
>       <pre wrap="">And as others have said, /home, and maybe /opt, should *always* be other
> drives, or at least other partitions....
>       </pre>
>     <pre wrap="">Kind of makes you wonder why RH's default install is to shove everything
> but boot into one partition these days, doesn't it? In trying to make
> everything immune from the most clueless users - who might (horrors) make
> a partition too small - RH defaults to something other than time-honored
> old-school best practices. Yeah, I never accept the defaults. But I'm not
>     </pre>
>   <pre wrap=""><!---->
> Very, dare I say it?, Windows-ish. On the other hand, for an enterprise
> O/S, I would sorta-kinda assume that /home was being NFS-mounted. Just
> about everywhere I've worked, it is.
> <snip>
>   </pre>
> Not trying to hijack but this last comment has provoked a question.<br>
> <hijack><br>
> If you have multiple CentOS machines that you regularly log onto and
> use, and these share a common /home/username (via NFS or other SAN
> mechanism) how do the various .xxxx files manage to work - aren't there
> potential conflicts?<br>
> I have two CentOS 5.5 workstations with dual monitors (different sizes
> though) and another machine with only a single display - wouldn't this
> cause issues? Unfortunately I do not have enough experience to know

The X server does not use .xxxx files in /home for display setup, it
uses /etc/X11/xorg.conf, which will be specific to the local hardware
(video card, number of monitors, etc.).

It is *presumed* that if you are in a shop with multiple
desktops/workstations using NFS / automounted /home, that the base O/S
on every machine is more or less the same version -- eg the admins do
'yum update' on all of the machines and thus keeping them all the same.

> what all these various . files contain - if they're only personal
> preferences and totally unrelated to the hardware then well and good -
> can someone confirm before I migrate my /home onto my main server and
> NFS mount it. TIA<br>

So long as:

If all of the machines are kept more or less in sync WRT system
software versions (which is good admin practice anyway), there should
not be any problems.  Some of your .xxxx files may have to test the
environment (eg X11/Gnome related ones should be checking this and/or
using relative placement geometries).