[CentOS] Physical-to-Virtual (VMware) & SELinux

Jorge Fábregas

jorge.fabregas at gmail.com
Sat Jun 19 12:54:34 UTC 2010

Hello guys,

I have a couple of servers that I'm about to virtualize to our VMware Vsphere
ecosystem.  For Linux servers I read that one needs to use the stand-alone
converter (which is a live-cd that you boot from it and then you point it to
your destination ESX).

I would like to know from folks that have already done so...what was your
experience like? Did everything went smooth? Any caveats?  I'm worried about
the filesystem extended attributes (SELinux). Will it survive the migration? Or
will I need to relabel the whole filesystem again?

Thanks,
Jorge