[CentOS] Migrating away from Nagios

Jane Curry jane.curry at skills-1st.co.uk
Mon Jun 21 09:48:04 UTC 2010

I'd try Zenoss.  I wrote a big paper comparing Nagios, OpenNMS and
Zenoss (
http://www.skills-1st.co.uk/papers/jane/open_source_mgmt_options.html )
  - it's nearly 2 years back now but many of the basics are the same.
At that time, I plumped for Zenoss but, to be fair, my main negative on
OpenNMS was that it is written in Java - it did pretty-well everything I
needed.

On the Zenoss front, my main winges were the quality and reliability of
the documentation and the code.  Zenoss has done a HUGE amount of work
on code reliability since then and the documentation is coming along.
It runs Nagios plugins if you need that, and will use SNMP, WMI and ssh
as protocols to talk to a device.  The community is very active and,
although Zenoss also have a commercial offering (Enterprise) as well as
the free Core, we still seem to get very good air-time from the
developers to help resolve issues and to take input from the community.

If you want further help, please ask!

Cheers,
Jane

--
Zenoss Master, Tivoli Certified Consultant & Instructor
Skills 1st Limited, 2 Cedar Chase, Taplow, Bucks, SL6 0EU, UK.