[CentOS] Samba share configuration: r/w for some users, read-only for others

Niki Kovacs

contact at kikinovak.net
Fri Jun 25 14:20:21 UTC 2010

Hi,

I'm using Samba for some basic setups like open shares for everybody, or
restricted shares with Samba users and passwords. So far, everything
works fine.

I have two situations which both more or less amount to the same, and I
don't know how to configure it. One is in a school, the other one in a
town hall.

1) In the school, I'd like to configure a share that is readable and
writable for all the teachers, and read-only for the students. The idea
is that the teachers can write some assignments or various papers and
then put them in the share so the students can access them (without
modifying them).

2) Similar setup in the town hall. The mayor wants to have a share where
he and his secretary can fully access the documents, write them and
modify them, and the library users can then access them read-only.

Is this feasible with Samba? And if so, what would the according
smb.conf look like?

Cheers from the sunny South of France,

Niki