[CentOS] Centos to use two ISP concurrently..?

Roland RoLaNd

r_o_l_a_n_d at hotmail.com
Sun Jun 27 09:37:31 UTC 2010

Hi all,

I'm currently getting my Centos working as a proxy (squid) on a 2 Mb bandwidth plan that's
serving 20 users. it's all good though our need for speed is increasing
by the day.

soon enough i'll be serving up to 60 user, hence the need to get higher
bandwidth though here where the problem is.

as i'm using HDSL, 2 Mb is the highest plan available.

hence, i need to get 2 HDSL subscriptions, in other words 2 modems/IPs
to work with.. ( 2 x 2 Mb)

the possibility to use routing table isn't feasible as these two ISP's would only be used for browsing, so routing destinations one way or the other isn't an option.

i have two initial thoughts to solve this hope you could straighten me
out if they're wrong or suggest something better that your experience
lead you to use:

1. setup Openvz on a centos box, get two templates up and running with
squid setup on them. each one with a different IP.

Each template would be routed to one ISP, and both proxies would be used
 in child/parent proxy manner so i could use caching from both.

and i could split my users in half, 1 half would be using Squid#1 and
the other using squid#2.

2. the same squid box have two Nics, with two IPs, one routed to each
ISP, i get squid listening to port " 80" on both IPs, and same as above,
 half of my users would be running on IP#1 and the others on IP#2.

do all this make any sense? i'm seeking your help as both ideas does not
 seem very professional to me, and i doubt that's the optimal solution
so any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks ,

--Roland