[CentOS] spamassassin needs updating?

Michael A. Peters

mpeters at mac.com
Sun Jun 27 19:05:23 UTC 2010

The spamassassin on my server is 3.2.5 and is stock CentOS 5.x.
I do apply updates regularly.

Most of my legitimate contacts are either whitelisted or sorted into
folders before spamassassin sees them, but I have noticed an increasing
amount of legitimate mail marked as spam.

One issue seems to be the FH_DATE_PAST_20XX rule.
I was able to fix that via running sa-update as root per
http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/FH_DATE_PAST_20XX

Should the rule be fixed in the actual RPM though since it is past 2010?

Secondly a lot of mail is marked due to

DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS

In SpamAssassin 3.3 and later, that rule is removed because:
Status of bl.open-whois.org: DEAD

http://wiki.apache.org/spamassassin/Rules/DNS_FROM_OPENWHOIS

Shouldn't that rule then be removed from the CentOS RPM?
I think I figured out how to remove it manually (give score of 0.0 on
trigger) but if it doesn't work, it should be patched out of the CentOS
RPM, no?

Will CentOS patch it w/o rhel patching? IE where should I search for bug
reports and file a bugzilla?