[CentOS] Virtualization as cheap redundancy option?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 14:40:25 UTC 2010

On 6/28/2010 8:25 AM, Warren Young wrote:
> On 6/25/2010 8:33 AM, Brian Mathis wrote:
>> - VMware Server seems like it's EOL, even though vmware hasn't
>> specifically said so yet
>
> Given that there are known serious bugs in 2.0.2[*] and that release is
> now 8 months old, that seems plausible to me.  But another plausible
> explanation is that they've decided to throw all their effort at a 3.0
> release.
>
> Do you have any hard evidence that would help me decide between these
> two possibilities?
>
> [*] glibc change with EL 5.4+ crashes server, creeping CPU time bug
> mentioned elsewhere in this thread, web UI buggier than Brazil in the
> rainy season...

I've never liked the web UI, so sticking with a 1.x server version seems
like the obvious choice if it is impossible to switch to ESXi and make
your current OS one of the guests.  Personally, thing that seems odd to
me is that RHEL broke things in an update which is very strange
considering the nature of the product.  I'm not so surprised that VMware
hasn't gone out of their way to do a workaround just for RHEL/CentOS.
The clock issue probably can't be fixed completely when running under
some other OS.

Anyway, 1.x versions still work and don't have the glibc problem - or
you might even use vmware player if you don't mind tying a console to
the vm instance.  And ESXi is much better for anything resembling
production or even a backup for production use.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com