[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdb

Jim Perrin jperrin at gmail.com
Mon Jun 28 15:33:35 UTC 2010

On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 10:46 AM, Whit Blauvelt <whit at transpect.com> wrote:

> Sanity here is relative. If you go to the main support channels for stuff
> like Apache or PHP or Python or Postfix or whatever, and you're having
> trouble because of some bug that they fixed literally years ago, but which
> your distro of choice doesn't yet provide packaged, you'll find no patience
> for the "I'm not going to compile your current version because then my
> distro would be impure" excuse for not upgrading to fix the problem.

Not at all. I'm not saying ZOMG YOU MUST STAY WITH 5.1.6 FOR
PHP!!!!!eleventy!1111

I'm simply saying that for most people, the configure make make
install method of doing things can and likely will result in breakage.
Either take the extra 5 minutes to make it into an rpm or stand on the
shoulders of others who already have, like the IUS repo folks, or the
epel repo folks, or the atrpms or rpmforge folks to get what you need.
My gripe is not about keeping the distro pure (that's a whole separate
issue), but simply keeping the package management overhead simple and
in general line with the practices of the distro.

In any event, we're drifting pretty far from the initial nature of
this thread, so I'd like to move that we either start a separate one
for this sort of thing, or cease altogether. I'm mostly in favor of
the latter.

George Orwell