[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdbyg

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Mon Jun 28 18:13:05 UTC 2010

Whit Blauvelt wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 28, 2010 at 11:58:14AM -0500, Les Mikesell wrote:
>
>> > That's why I always thoroughly log all stuff installed by hand, along
>> > with extra configuration steps taken with RPM-installed items, and make
>> > sure the log's someplace where the next person can find it. In our
case we
>> > maintain wikis for this sort of thing. It would be nice if there were a
>> > standard for where such notes should be left on the systems
themselves. Not aware
>> > that there is one, though.
>>
>> The standard place is for the rpm database to hold the list of files in
>> each package and to the extent possible values for local config options
>> to be split out as a file under /etc/sysconfig and somehow merged at
>> runtime.  And the standard for documentation would be matching man pages
>> included in the package.
>
> Les, that's not my question. My question is about there being a standard
> place to record what's installed _outside_ of the distro's package
> management scheme. IMHO telling people it's not proper to do that is an
> attempt to impose a local custom in a world where many people are more
> sophisticated, and blend customs from various communities.
<snip>
Y'know, I sorta like that idea - say, a script or program that you can
hand it info, such as if you've just built PHP the way I mentioned, and
have it be added to the rpmdb. That would also let you know if you did a
yum updgrade, and if a newer version than what you'd build had been added
to the regular distro.

         mark