[CentOS] Upgrading MySQLdbyg

R P Herrold herrold at centos.org
Mon Jun 28 19:13:01 UTC 2010

On Mon, 28 Jun 2010, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:

> R P Herrold wrote:
>> and this random guessing and recordatation to pollute the RPM
>> database "varies from ** and ** is better than" using a
>> package built from a pre-defined recipe driven by a .spec
>> file, just how?

> Well, when it insists on building in /usr/src/redhat,

bzrrrttt --- no such insistance by RPM; just the opposite as
it it is fully configurable -- also building as root is a well
known and readily avoidable stupidity
 	http://www.owlriver.com/tips/non-root/

> to me a week or two ago.... I'd *MUCH* rather have one directory, with
> everything in it related to whatever I was building, and have *one* place
> to tell it what it needed to find (such as the above).

Nothing in RPM building practice prevents gathering local
collections of packages that relate to one another -- I've
published such cluster collections to satisfy dependencies for
years and years
 	ftp://ftp.owlriver.com/pub/mirror/ORC/bugzilla/

> Right. And the folks who build packages and don't even consider the
> possibility of looking at a *higher* subrelease of a library (had that a
> number of times)

Namespace collisions are the responsibility of the craftsman,
not the tool, of course; stow and alternatives work perfectly
fine if one 'needs' to swap between such in build
environments; packages using autotools and 'configure'
sensible and richly also readily provide for parallel
versioned library installs -- not RPM's job, mon

> We won't even begin to talk about python....

The Python community tout weak type checking as acceptible,
along with limited namespace disambiguation tools; they lack
the interest to follow the convention of holding an API stable
across a major version number, and so transfer the burden to
their using community.  I understand why it seemed like a
better choice than say, perl, to Red Hat, but there are some
major faults in Python space as well

-- Russ herrold