[CentOS] centos5.5 text install forcing me to add all disks to LVM volgroup

Dave

tdbtdb+centos at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 00:15:20 UTC 2010

Graphic installer doesn't like my graphics card, so I am using the text
installer. I have two physical disks in my system.

When I get to the "partitioning type" page, I choose "remove all partitions
on selected drives [etc]" and put an asterisk next to sda, no asterisk next
to sdb. I want to use sdb as a separate partition, no LVM, I figure I can
set it up after installing. Then I hit 'OK' and go to the warning page, say
yes. Review and modify partitioning layout - yes.

So now I am looking at the partitioning page and I am surprised to see
/dev/sdb and sdb1 down at the bottom, since that disk was *not* selected. I
select sdb1 and try to delete, it says " unable to delete You cannot delete
this partition: this parition is part of the LVM volume group 'volgroup00'".
If I try to delete /dev/sdb1, it says I must choose a partiton. If i try to
edit volgroup00, it says 'LVM volume groups can only be edited in the
graphical installer."

So, am I stuck? It seems like my only option is to go ahead and add both
disks, then try to remove one of the disks after completing the install. Is
there some sort of workaround for this?

What if I actually had some data on that drive (fortunately I do not), would
it get wiped by this?

Mahalo,
Dave