[CentOS] Amavisd-new UBE problem on Postfix server

John Hinton

webmaster at ew3d.com
Tue Jun 29 15:39:16 UTC 2010

This is a web hosting mailserver, so there are multiple domains being
passed through this email system.

I decided this new system would be Postfix and followed the Centos Wiki
to aid in the installation and setup.

It seems that Amavisd is throwing this error from time to time.

-----
Subject: Considered UNSOLICITED BULK EMAIL, apparently from you
From: "Content-filter at <mailserverdomainname.com>
-----

and now I'll skip to the bottom of the error message

------
First upstream SMTP client IP address: [97.13.153.201]
According to a 'Received:' trace, the message apparently originated at:
   [97.13.153.201], localhost 201.sub-97-13-153.myvzw.com [97.13.153.201]
-------

which shows this email was sent through a smart phone on the Verizon
network.

The email settings on the phone are correct. The domain name of the
sender is properly configured and email is working on their computer.

I have searched for this and found many questions about why and only one
ugly solution. It seems that if you add the domain name to
@local_domains_maps = in amavis conf, the problem goes away, at least in
some situations. Obviously not something one wants to have to do with
each additional domain added to a server.

Amavis is set to the default
@local_domains_maps = ( [".$mydomain"] );  # list of all local domains
on my system.
$mydomain is set to the mailservername.

Does anyone have a good solution to this problem?

Thanks,
John Hinton