[CentOS] CentOS MD RAID 1 on Openfiler iSCSI

Christopher Chan christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Wed Jun 30 00:45:09 UTC 2010

On Tuesday, June 29, 2010 11:25 PM, Emmanuel Noobadmin wrote:
> On 6/29/10, Chan Chung Hang Christopher
> <christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk>  wrote:
>
>> Define cheap. Like these...er...hmm...creative chums here?
>>
>> http://blog.backblaze.com/2009/09/01/petabytes-on-a-budget-how-to-build-cheap-cloud-storage/
>>
>> Or how about 7850USD for a 4U, 36 bay ( loaded with 12 x 1TB - not going
>> full out :-( ), multipathing dual SAS host controller + sas backplane, 4
>> port GB Intel NIC + dual GB Intel NIC, 16GB ECC DDR2 RAM, multiple HT3
>> links, dual 6 core cpu box? Future 45 bay 4U SAS storage box possible too.
>
> LOL, I was expecting that to come up soon. But unfortunately as
> mentioned previously somewhere, my entire hardware budget acceptable
> to the client is less than USD5000 for the application server and
> expandable redundant storage. :(

So cut appropriate corners to fit. Just not like Backblaze. Their's is
decidedly crap hobbled together.

> I'm just thankful they paid for a Gigabit switch previously!

D-Link? :-D. I had to get D-Links when money was a bit tighter but now I
have HP Procurve 9210al switches.

/me stomps on Cisco crap.

>> No, not putting Centos 5 on that. :-( Not trusting raid5/6.
>> raidz2/raidz3 it is going to be.
>
> Solaris?

Either OpenSolaris or Nexenta. Hey, I thought we were supposed to be
running cheap aka freeloading?