[CentOS] security compliance vs. old software versions

Frank Cox theatre at sasktel.net
Wed Jun 30 18:45:31 UTC 2010

On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 10:10 -0400, m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
> I understand that. We had a scan a few months ago (and theyre about to
> do
> it again), and to satisfy it, I had to turn off the h/d/ramdisks in
> our
> laser printers....

What is the point of doing a security scan under conditions that are not
actually "live"?

It sounds like moving the flammable materials out before a fire
inspection, then moving them right back in when the inspector leaves.

What is gained?  You're no more secure than you were before the
inspection, and and you're no longer running what you had running during
the inspection.