[CentOS] Service monitoring/"Monit"?

Fri Jun 11 11:07:18 UTC 2010
Toralf Lund <toralf.lund at pgs.com>

Geoff Galitz wrote:
>> I think you are missing my point. This is precisely what I do not want
>> to do. The last bit here, I mean - i.e. I'm asking for a way to set up
>> so the "rename /etc/monit.d/sshd.conf to something different" step won't
>> be necessary.
>>

> Depending on how much effort you are willing to put into this, you can get
> nagios to do this.  There are two options:

Hmmm... I've used Nagios before, but it must be 10 years ago now, so
probably I'd have to re-learn it. But I'm sure it could be done.

I have a feeling that introducing nagios monitoring is a little too
involved, though. I want to distribute the setup to external systems, so
ideally there should be one "monitoring" package install and a simple
"enable" command at the most, in addition to installation of the actual
software.

rpm -Uvh monit-<version>.rpm
chkconfig monit on

Is really quite ideal, except for the fact that it only nearly gives me
what I want :-(

But thanks anyway,

- Toralf