[CentOS] issues with 3rd party repos for centos

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 1 17:49:58 UTC 2010

>    next, regarding remi collet's repo:
>
> "Has been recommended on the mailing list and forum for mysql 5.1 and
> php5.2.9."
>
> however, if you check over there (say, under x86_64):
>
> http://rpms.famillecollet.com/enterprise/5/remi/x86_64/repoview/development.languages.group.html
>
> remi appears to already be up to php 5.3.1 (and even 5.3.2 under the
> "test" link), so the centos wiki page is a bit out of date.
>
>    finally, all i want is to install PHP 5.3.x (and, obviously,
> dependent packages) on a stock centos 5.4 system.  is remi collet's
> repo a good choice for that?  the centos wiki recommends "extreme
> caution" for that repo, which makes me nervous.

I've run the ocsinventory-server from remi repo for a while, letting it
pull in the msyql and php versions from there (and I think you also need
epel enabled for additional dependencies).  It hasn't broken anything
obvious.  I keep the repo disabled in the yum setup and explicitly
enable it with enablerepo=remi on the command line when updating
ocsinventory.

>    more to the point, are there any serious issues involving bumping up
> php to 5.3.1 on a stock centos 5.4 system while leaving everything
> else where it is?

That probably depends on what php-based apps you need to keep running.
Nothing else should care - but you do have to pay attention to what
other package updates might be pulled in when you do updates.  I usually
do an update without remi enabled first, then with, and look over the
list that it plans to install before accepting it.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com