[CentOS] Success moving Xen LVMs from 32 to 64bit host

henry ritzlmayr centos at rc0.at
Tue Mar 2 07:10:20 UTC 2010

> Next, we copied the /etc/xen/xm_c32_001 configuration file to the
> replacement server.  We generated a new UUID using the "uuidgen"
> utility. We also created a new MAC address.  Finally, we started the
> instance:

Since you moved your virtual machine, you wouldn´t have to create a new
UUID and no new MAC address. This is only required if you copy a virtual
machine and if you want both up at the same time.

> xm create xm_c32_001
>
> Everything came up, but no network.  From the root console we logged
> in then edited the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0.  Xen had
> apparently renamed the script and put in a DHCP configuration. We just
> renamed the backup file and commented out the MAC address line and
> restarted networking, *and* ifdown eth0 then ifup eth0.

This is because you changed the MAC address. If you would have left it
at the original value, the network would have started right away with
the old config.

Henry