[CentOS] kexec for CentOS 4?

Tony Mountifield

tony at softins.clara.co.uk
Tue Mar 2 10:10:39 UTC 2010

I have a remote CentOS 4 machine on a network where I can't put a DHCP
or PXE server, and I want to do a complete reinstall. So what I want to
do is, from the currently-running system, to invoke an installation
kernel and initrd in just the same way that GRUB would, giving it a boot
command line that specifies a remote kickstart file, installation tree,
and other required info.

It looks like kexec is the right tool to do this, but I have only been
able to find it for CentOS 5. Does anyone know where I could get kexec
for CentOS 4? Does the CentOS 4 kernel support it?

If not, are there any other ways to achieve what I've described?

Thanks
Tony
--
Tony Mountifield