[CentOS] how to open a tcp port?

hadi motamedi motamedi24 at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 12:40:53 UTC 2010

> Hati, lets see, you have machine 1 and machine 2
>
> let us say you are sitting on machine 1
> you are trying to telnet into machine 2 to port 4965
>
> First sit on machine 2 and do telnet localhost 4965
> Are you able to?
>
> If yes, then telnet <machine 2 IP> 4965
> If succesful try telnet from machine 1 using telnet <machine 2 IP> 4965
>
> It is on the machine 2 you should be opening up the port 4965
>
> Regards
>
> Rajagopal

Thank you for your reply . The actual scenario is as the following :
I have machine#1 that I was in charge of its OS installation and I have
remote access to a similar machine (machine#2) that both are running the
same application program . On machine#2 console (its ip at 172.16.17.131) , the
following command can get through:
#telnet 172.16.17.131 4965
But on my machine#1 console (its ip at 172.16.17.132) , the following command
cannot get through :
#telnet 172.16.17.132 4965
With respect to the same OS and application installation , I want to know
which package is missing from my OS installation so I try to just add it ?