[CentOS] how to open a tcp port?

Matt Iavarone matt.iavarone at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 13:21:18 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 3, 2010 at 6:06 AM, hadi motamedi <motamedi24 at gmail.com> wrote:

>> > is telnetd installed?
>
> Yes , it is (as the telnet to ip address on both machines can get through).
>

>> > is the telnet deamon running on machine #1?
>> >chkconfig telnet on
>> Yes , it is .
>
>>read as disable = yes.
>>service xinetd restart
>
> I tried to restart the daemon , but still telnet to port 4965 cannot get
> through .

There must be some reason for you to want to connect on that port.
What is it?  Why is that port significant?

If the 'missing' package was installed using yum, try yum list from
each and compare the results.  However, if you don't know that you are
missing an application and just want to telnet for no reason, you are
chasing a problem that doesn't exist.

You can also check /etc/services to see if that is a standard port and
what may be using it.