[CentOS] New to VM

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Mar 3 21:12:10 UTC 2010

On 3/3/2010 2:40 PM, David Milholen wrote:
> For example if i have 2 ibm Eserver 326 with dual xeon 2.8ghz each with
> 2 sata 200Gb drives.
> how many virtual machines can be configured on those to run a couple of
> mail servers and some network monitoring like ntop/nagios
> possibly add domain hosting services on there also?

That's still not enough information to be useful since there can be
several orders of magnitude in difference in the load of servers like
that.  I have a similar vintage machine with 4 gigs RAM and 6 scsi
drives running 3 low-usage servers under vmware server plus a slightly
busier mail server on the native host, but that wouldn't work for a busy
domain, especially if you are doing spam scanning on the email.

In my case I was moving stuff that ran on older pentium 3 boxes with 1
gig RAM so the VM's were about equivalent.  You'll have trouble doing
much with just 2 SATA drives, though.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com