[CentOS] Install Help

Mr. X tlviewer at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 3 22:57:26 UTC 2010

> On Wed, March 3, 2010 4:17 pm, Slack-Moehrle wrote:
> > Hi All,
> >
> > I have a new system that is dual AMD's. I have a
> CentOS 5.4 x64 dvd.
> >
> > I power on the machine
> > It boots to the CentOS media I had in the dvd drive
> > I start the install
> > it comes up and asks me where I have CentOS, I select
> 'Local CD' and I get
> > that a message saying CentOS install files cannot be
> found. Strange
> > because it boots to it!
> >
> > What could be the issue?

to double check that the DVD is still OK:
get the mount point from device mapper
>md5sum /media/hdc

and compare result with the value posted on any C5 mirror for your media.

If you still have the iso, setup a network install (requires another machine) by mounting the iso and exporting it as nfs. IIRC, the C5 installer won't support harddrive installs from media found locally.

On another box:
#mkdir /mnt/repo
#mount -t iso9660 /Path-to/CentOS-5.4-x86_64-bin-DVD.iso /mnt/repo -o loop
#echo "/mnt/repo/ *(sync)" >> /etc/exports
#/etc/init.d/nfs restart

now back at your new dual-AMD setup,
grab the diskboot.img from the /images folder of the DVD/iso.

either dd that IMG file to a USB flash, or boot it with syslinux/memdisk
from a fat32 partition already existing on your new system (not likely), or burn the boot.iso to a CD (also found in images).

Using a network install is much faster than via DVD.

--
Mark