[CentOS] CentOS server running java - won't let go of swap

Sean Carolan scarolan at gmail.com
Sun Mar 7 18:11:41 UTC 2010

> I think Xms/x is java's heap space for program object storage.  It doesn't take
> into account the space needed for the JVM itself.  Top should show you the
> actual memory usage - along with any other programs that might be using a lot.

One of our java developers indicated that the heap space plus permgen
should approximate the total memory required by the JVM.  HP's system
management homepage that eats up nearly 500MB by itself.

Are there any tools that let you look inside  the swap disk or file
and see exactly what is being placed there?