[CentOS] Motherboards for HPC applications

Eduardo Grosclaude eduardo.grosclaude at gmail.com
Tue Mar 9 11:09:07 UTC 2010

On Tue, Mar 9, 2010 at 12:49 AM, Christopher Chan
<christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk> wrote:
> On Tuesday, March 09, 2010 12:34 AM, Eduardo Grosclaude wrote:
>> Hello,
>> Can somebody recommend CentOS-OK, dual socket motherboards for compute
>> elements? A quick look up at Intel pages suggests they are thinking of
>> them as "server boards", but then they recommend them as "for SMB",
>> I'm somewhat puzzled about it.
>> It would be nice to know what MBs you are using, pros and cons.
>> Thank you in advance
>>

> Could you give us a bit more information on the HPC part? Is this
> clustering or computing?

I'll be buying a single machine first, building a cluster some time
later. As this second move may be delayed for an unpredictable amount
of time, what I am really interested in is understanding the thought
process a seasoned technician (sysadmin? clusadmin?) may follow when
selecting hardware.

Do you have high i/o needs?

Well, perhaps this is my real problem... Don't have enough info about
applications. There are several of them but I think I/O is not at
premium, rather CPU computing is.

Thank you very much, Christopher
--
Eduardo Grosclaude