[CentOS] Filter web content in a LAN ?

Greg Bailey gbailey at lxpro.com
Tue Mar 9 16:25:16 UTC 2010

Niki Kovacs wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I installed a network of five desktops in a small town hall, all running
> CentOS 5.4. The machines are publicly, and the mayor asked me to find
> some solution to effectively filter web content, as the kids' first
> reflex is to visit the interesting bits of the Internet first, from
> satanism to porn.
>
> One of the machines will be set up as a router anyway, since the public
> computer room gets its internet access from the town hall, and I've
> decided to make another subnet for it.
>
> Any recommendations for that?
>
> Niki

I have DansGuardian set up on my home Linux server that acts as the
router for our home network, and it does a great job of web filtering on
the fly.  (I have grade school kids at home).  You basically configure a
transparent proxy so all HTTP traffic is filtered, and it's configurable
as to what categories you want to allow or block.  I use RPMs available
from RPMForge.

http://dansguardian.org/
http://packages.sw.be/dansguardian/

-Greg