[CentOS] NetworkManager trouble with CentOS 5.4 and KDE3

Martin Jungowski

martin at rhm.de
Tue Mar 9 11:25:25 UTC 2010

I'm evaluating CentOS 5.4 for our company and one of our requirements is
that it must also run on laptops. I've managed to get everything working
so far except for wireless networks. The problem here seems to be that
CentOS fails to provide a knetworkmanager package, and we're using KDE3
for various reasons. Thus, we're limited to Networkmanager-gnome which
works but fails to save passwords in KDE3 and only works in Gnome. Of
course kwallet is installed but requires knetworkmanager to work. The
only solution I found so far was to log into Gnome, connect to the
wireless network and save the password but that's certainly NOT an opion.

I guess the question is quite simple: how do I get NetworkManager to save
passwords in KDE3? It's a critical issue and switching to Gnome is not an
option either. Infact it's Novell's decision to ditch KDE3 and focus on
KDE4 instead that made us turn our backs on openSUSE in the first place.

So, is it possible to solve this teeny-tiny problem some other way?

Thanks in advance,
Martin

--
Rieke Computersysteme GmbH