[CentOS] IPSec VPN Setup?

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Wed Mar 10 08:15:03 UTC 2010

Hi

I can second that, Openswan is the way to go (sorry the ONLY way to go).
Centos has the latest, but I would highly recommend to have Centos on
both ends.
Centos is one of the distros that uses NSS by default and standard out
of the box, so this makes is easier.

There's also a PDF booklet (get that from amazon, its written by Paul
Wouters, one of the Openswan developers), link on the website.

The toughest part is getting the keys and connections right, personally
I would not do it without subscribing to "users at openswan.org" first,
they are helpfull and you will find Paul on the list, too.

Been using Openswan (well it used to be freeS/WAN, hence the animal
used) for many years and once you set it up and have the key exchange
working you never have to change a thing again other then (in my case)
"yum update openswan".

jobst

On 10/03/2010 18:08, Geoff Galitz wrote:

> I use Openswan regularly for IPSec VPN connections to remote sites.
> Although the documentation is a bit lacking it is pretty easy to get going
> once you've played with it a bit.
>
> It is reliable, widely available and the openswan users support list is
> responsive.
>
> If you have trouble connecting to the remote side, ike-scan can help in
> getting your key exchange settings right.  That is usually the hard part, in
> my experience.
>
> -geoff
>

> ---------------------------------
> Geoff Galitz
> Blankenheim NRW, Germany
> http://www.galitz.org/
> http://german-way.com/blog/

*Jobst Schmalenbach*
General Manager, Webdevelopment and Tech Support
*P*  +61 3 9532 7677
*M* +61 411 611 855
*E* jhs at barrett.com.au <mailto:jhs at barrett.com.au>
*W* www.barrett.com.au <http://www.barrett.com.au>
BARRETT Logo <http://www.barrett.com.au/>
*Everybody lives by selling something*
Sales Training, Consulting, Coaching, Seminars and Resources
Barrett Sales Blog <http://www.barrett.com.au/blogs/SalesBlog/>
Subscribe <http://www.barrett.com.au/subscribe.html> to receive free
weekly advice and tips for people who live by selling something
Star