[CentOS] cannot start or stop apache due to ssl changes

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Mar 18 15:51:14 UTC 2010

> Apache was working with self signed certificate. We changed the ssl.conf
> file to read certicates from godaddy and it it failed to restart because
> of incorrecrt parphrase.

Passphrase? In which case, you need to get the correct passphrase.
<snip>
>  I then put the original ssl.conf back  (saved the ssl file with go daddy
> changes to ssl_gd.conf) but could not stop or start apache and this was
> the error
>
> /sbin/service httpd start
>
> Starting httpd: [Thu Mar 18 09:10:32 2010] [warn] module ssl_module is
> already loaded, skipping [Thu Mar 18 09:10:32 2010] [warn] NameVirtualHost
> *:443 has no VirtualHosts (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
> bind to address [::]:443 (98)Address already in use: make_sock: could not
> bind to address 0.0.0.0:443 no listening sockets available, shutting down
> Unable to open logs

Do you have another instance of apache running? It says that something's
already using this. Also, why is the ssl module loaded twice? Do you have
a module load in a file that is read prior to /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl.conf?
Remember, they're read alphabetically.

> I re-generated the self signed certificate keys and restarted the server.

Why?

> /sbin/service httpd start is looking for ssl_gd.conf and NOT SSL.CONF;
> Don't know how this happened?

Because you've got it defined in your configuration files that way.

> Starting httpd: Syntax error on line 143 of /etc/httpd/conf.d/ssl_gd.conf:
> SSLCertificateFile: file '/etc/sslcertificate/gd.crt' does not exist or is
> empty

You're still trying the godaddy ssl, as well as the self-signed one. And
does that file exist?

> Can anyone give some pointers to solve this?

Perhaps you might want to read the apache documentation on their website
for the version of apache you're running; specifically, the ssl page?

          mark