[CentOS] dkms

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Thu Mar 18 18:13:23 UTC 2010

> m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Is there some way to make dkms NOT try to install/load a driver?
>>
>>       mark, with an old NVidia card that is *NOT* supported
>>              by anything newer than 174, and *certainly* not
>>              by the "generic" xorg x11 nvidia driver
>>

> why dkms?
> use nvidia-x11-drv-173xx and kmod-nvidia-173xx from elrepo, the kmod is
> kabi-tracking.

That's the one I think I'm using. Somehow, when I did my most recent
update, to kernel 2.6.18-164.11.1.el5, or whenever it did an X update, I
lose track, it installed dkms-nvidia-x11-drv. I want to prevent that
update from occurring in the future... and I may need to do it on some
users' systems, also with older nvidia cards.

        mark