[CentOS] Looking for experiences with filesystem choices....

Tom Bishop

bishoptf at gmail.com
Sun Mar 21 15:01:32 UTC 2010

Lots of opinions out there and I have read and read, so I have a home server
that I have finally setup with a hot swap hdd cage and what I am planning on
doing is copying my data drive every other day and rotating them offsite,
haven't figured out how often though.  So I did my first test last night and
the backup drive was formatted with ext3 but looking to try to speed things
up and was wondering what would be my best choice.  Most of my data is on
VM's and the hdd files on some of them are quite large, I have used JFS and
reiser in the past and was leaning on going with JFS but am tempted to look
at XFS.  So what I was wondering are what are folks experiences (instead of
opinions) with different filesystems and while I want speed it needs to be
reliable since it will be my back up data....running centos 5.4 x64

Thanks in advance...