[CentOS] fsck problems

m.roth at 5-cent.us m.roth at 5-cent.us
Tue Mar 23 13:49:08 UTC 2010

> sync wrote:
>> Thanks for all replies .
>>
>> Today, I did the following things,and also met the other errror message:
<snip>
>> Then,  reboot the server and then boot it from the hard disk.
>>
>> This time, the screen came up with these:
>>
>> Checking root filesystem:
>> EXT3-fs error (device dm-0) :
>> ext3_get_inode_loc: unable to read  inode block -inode=7473432,
>> block=14942282
<snip>
>> It is obvious that the fsck command maybe not to use .
>>
>> What could i do now ?
>>
>>  Maybe it is the only method to reinstall the CentOS operating system.
>> isn't it?
>
> That looks like you either have a physically bad hard disk, or
> directory/inode corruption in the entry needed to load fsck.  Try running
<snip>
Looks to me as though you definitely have a hard drive going bad. The
thing that says that to me is "unable to read", not "error reading". I'd
reboot from a DVD with linux rescue, do *not* mount the filesystems, and
do an fsck -c (and any other options) on all the partitions that are
formatted. This will check for bad blocks. If there's only a few, say, 1,
or 10, note how many of them there are, and let it take its default to
mark, and then fix everything else. If there's a *bunch* of them (100+),
you need a new hard disk, now.

        mark "done this too much recently"