[CentOS] centralised user authentication

Mathieu Baudier mbaudier at argeo.org
Wed Mar 24 18:51:58 UTC 2010

> Apart from ipa are there any other good tools out there for centralised user
> auth?

I am currently testing LDAP (openldap) combined with nss_ldap,
configured with authconfig.

It works and the nice thing is that you can have consistent
authentication at OS and application level (apache, PHP, java, etc.).
Combined with NFS mounted home directories, it also gives you
consistent uids across the hosts.

However I am still evaluating the security implications of the bind
process: if the access rights are too restrictive in openldap it
doesn't work. It depends if everything will run in the same LAN or if
you need external access. Then you probably need to go the client
certificate route + SSL/TLS, which is not trivial to deploy (but works
as well).

If you go this way, I can share some of my findings in more details.