[CentOS] RAID 5 setup?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Thu Mar 25 19:42:07 UTC 2010

On 3/25/2010 2:24 PM, Slack-Moehrle wrote:

> Can anyone provide a tutorial or advice on how to configure a software RAID 5 from the command-line (since I did not install Gnome)?
>
> I have 8 x 1.5tb Drives.

Make matching partitions on each disk with fdisk, setting the type to FD
(raid autodetect), then 'mdadm create ...' to specify the options and
start it. See the create section in 'man mdadm'. You'll need at least
--raid-level=  --raid-devices=  --auto=yes.

Then you'll probably want to add an entry in /etc/fstab to mount the new
md device somewhere.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com