[CentOS] centos Installation on Multiple machines

Jobst Schmalenbach jobst at barrett.com.au
Thu Mar 25 23:35:37 UTC 2010

You do not "really" need any utils to do this!
Just install it on one machine onto ONE disk, do the "yum update" plus
all the packages you need for the clones.

Then use "rsync -avH source target" to make yourself the other
copies (using THAT disk) preferable AFTER you booted into RESCUE mode
on the target machine so you have your raid or whatever available.

You can create the partitions while you are in that mode to copy
the stuff into the correct locations or overwrite old directories.

Fix up /etc/fstab to make up for the new partitions on the
target machine.

Reboot into rescure mode again and do a "mkinitrd PARMS" to setup
the correct boot process and use grub-install to do the same.

done, i do this all the time, new, old and upgrades.

You can do the same with upgrades. Copy the OLD machine onto ONE disk
reflecting the new fstab on THAT disk, put it into another machine
and go into rescue mode to do the "mkinitrd", reboot, boot into
rescue mode, chroot and do the upgrade. fix up all the errors.
down the OLD machine, rsync everything you just update across.
reboot into recue mode and do a mkintird and grub-install. done