[CentOS] RAID 5 setup?

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Fri Mar 26 18:26:47 UTC 2010

On 3/26/2010 12:45 PM, Robert Heller wrote:

>> For real or is that a typo? Is that incase you go on holiday for a week and
>> a drive-dies-a-day?
>>

> I suspect that this is a simular case to what I did: I have a server
> with 4 drives.  I have several (small) RAID1 partitions (/boot, /,
> /usr, /var, etc.) with 4 mirrors and one large RAID5 with three
> partitions and a hot spare (a LVM volumn group, containing /home and
> some other partitions). I would guess that the admin with the "8-way
> RAID1 for the OS" probably also has a 6 or 8 disk RAID5 or RAID6 for
> the bulk of the disks.

If you are really paranoid you can split things up into raid1 mirrors of
2 drives each mounted into logical places.  At the expense of having to
mange the space in smaller chunks (and losing half to redundancy) you
get the ability to control head contention among jobs and to recover
data from any single disk after a problem.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com