[CentOS] Network tuning for working with very old Solaris

John R Pierce pierce at hogranch.com
Sat Mar 27 17:49:01 UTC 2010

JohnS wrote:
> On Sat, 2010-03-27 at 13:02 -0400, Wade Hampton wrote:
>

>>  I can't ping the Solaris box
>> from any of the servers on my network.
>>
> ---
>  That in it self should tell you to look at the cabling and nic card. I
> suspect its a very old nic card like ISA or begining PCI.  Just because
> it is Sol 5 does not mean TCP/IP will not work.

SunOS 5.7 is Solaris 7, actually.    'Solaris 10' is really SunOS 5.10.

Bill Joy wrote the TCP stack thats in all Unix systems, and was copied
for Linux.    There's nothing wrong with the TCP in any SunOS version
going as far back as you like.

btw, an older Sun Sparc is more likely to be SBUS and not ISA.  If its
PCI, its likely 64bit and maybe 66Mhz.    SBUS is a 32bit synchronous
bus thats somewhat slower at clock speed than 32bit 33MHz PCI, however
its capable of higher throughput due to being a more efficient bus protocol.

me, I'd get on the console (most Sparc's newer than about 10 years old
have a ALOM or RSC or whatever remote console module you can telnet or
ssh to, older ones were almost all serial console, which is typically
connected to a cyclades type console controller you can ssh to), and run
some diags from there (check dmesg for any events, check ifconfig, ndd,
and verify the settings, see if you can ping, etc)