[CentOS] printer trouble - missing driver?

Michael Klinosky mpk2 at enter.net
Sun Mar 28 00:50:41 UTC 2010

MHR wrote:
> Is there some special reason you don't update to 5.4 and see if that
> helps?  If it's just your home machine, that shouldn't be too much of
> a stretch....

I didn't really think about updating; 5.3 works OK. Well, that is,
unless 5.4 would fix this.

> Or did you misstate your CentOS revision - 5.4 comes with hplip 1.6.7, too?

No - I know it's 5.3.

[mykolas at sr1220 HP]$ uname -a
Linux sr1220.localdomain 2.6.18-128.1.16.el5 #1 SMP Tue Jun 30 06:10:28
EDT 2009 i686 i686 i386 GNU/Linux

Craig wrote:
> put any downloaded/custom ppd files in /usr/share/cups/model and then
> you can choose them. They can be in tar.gz form if you want.

Well, if you can show me where to get a ppd file, I'd really appreciate
it! (I checked openprinting.org, linuxfoundation.org, and
hplipopensource.com - nothing about 'ppd file'.) Or, can I really
customize what I have?

> don't know about that one but possibly not a problem. If it's a problem,
> it would seem that you have defined a printer that it can't talk to.

I configged it the same way on the F7 box, and it works fine. I'm
boggled - why wouldn't it work on the Cent box?