[CentOS] Network tuning for working with very old Solaris

Kahlil Hodgson kahlil.hodgson at dealmax.com.au
Sun Mar 28 03:34:32 UTC 2010

On 03/28/2010 05:04 AM, Wade Hampton wrote:
>> me, I'd get on the console (most Sparc's newer than about 10 years old
>> have a ALOM or RSC or whatever remote console module you can telnet or
>> ssh to, older ones were almost all serial console, which is typically
>> connected to a cyclades type console controller you can ssh to), and run
>> some diags from there (check dmesg for any events, check ifconfig, ndd,
>> and verify the settings, see if you can ping, etc)
>
> Thanks.  The Solaris server is on PC hardware and is running CDE.
> I can log into it even when it can't connect to the network.
>
> The last thing that wireshark displays is a bunch of ACK's from
> my Linux box to the Solaris box (there are multiple connections
> open).

It stops working after sending a certain amount of traffic, so your
network conf if probably okay.  I've seen this before with a card that
was in the process of dying.  You could rule this out by swapping in a
spare NIC that you know works.  If its old hardware, re-plugging the NIC
or using a different PCI slot may help.  If it does help, its probably
only a temporary fix and you should be planning for some new hardware :-(

Kal