[CentOS] Running commercial softwares on CentOS

Rahul Tidke rahul at excelize.com
Mon Mar 29 07:06:06 UTC 2010

On Mon, 29 Mar 2010, Rahul Tidke wrote:

> Hello!
>
> How can I use CentOS as a complete desktop OS? I want to run Autodesk
> products on it like AutoCAD,Revit,3D Max,etc. Does Wine (winehq)
> support running such software?

>> No.

> Can I use (KVM,Xen) virtualization to run Windows XP  and all
> commercial software on it? Does running XP in virtualization requires a
license?

>> KVM runs Windows just fine for me.

>> Virtualization does not change anything about licensing.  You still need
a license for all the software, but, for Windows there might be different
licensing models available to you when
>> running in a virtualized environment.

>> 3D software packages are often limited by the fact that under a virtual
environment they are doing software based rendering.  It will likely be the
performance killer aspect of
>> virtualization in your environment.

I agree with above facts. But, how do Red Hat provides interoperability in
its desktop edition http://www.redhat.com/rhel/desktop/ ? It says that it
supports third party apps and MS apps/environment. What software and
technologies are used in RHEL for this? I just want to explore the
possibilities for using CentOS as a full fledged desktop OS. I have been
using CentOS as a server since very long time.

Rahul.