[CentOS] VMware server 2 - Strange behaviour

John Thomas gmane-2006-04-16 at jt-socal.com
Mon Mar 29 13:15:09 UTC 2010

> Hi everyone, I recently install VMware on a server using PAE kernel
Running 3 similar systems here, 2 production, one testing

> everything was great until I use vmware server
> everytime i'm connecting to the vmware server web interface after few
> seconds, the client loose server connection (server shows a loading
> page) I can't access to my VM till I log on the server run
> /etc/init.d/vmware restart
I have this problem too sometimes, particular with the Firefox extension
installed.  After many searches, the best solution I found was running
the extension outside the browser.  I cannot remember exactly how I did
it, but here is the result of a quick Google search:

cd /tmp
IP=the.esx.srv.ip # < fill in esx server ip address here
wget --no-check-certificate https://$IP/ui/plugin/vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi
mv vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.xpi vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.zip
cd ~
mkdir -p bin/vmwareconsole # make directory bin in your own homedir
cd bin/vmwareconsole
unzip /tmp/vmware-vmrc-linux-x86.zip
cd ~/bin
ln -s vmwareconsole/plugins/vmware-vmrc . # make a symlink for easy access
vmware-vmrc # run the console

> I try to connect to the server again but connection still fails
> I try /etc/init.d/vmware stop /etc/init.d/vmware start
> then it respond me :
<snip>
> VMware Server is installed, but it has not been (correctly)
> configured for the running kernel. To (re-)configure it, invoke the
> following command: /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl.
>
> I try /usr/bin/vmware-config.pl but it doesn't work until I reboot
 > I do reboot but connection fails again and I have to do the same
 > thing above.
Oh boy, this sounds worse than anything I had.

--
Sincerely,
John Thomas