[CentOS] bogus error message from yum update for gmime and gmime-sharp

William Hooper whooperhsd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 31 12:18:08 UTC 2010

On Wed, Mar 31, 2010 at 6:30 AM, ken <gebser at mousecar.com> wrote:
> Available Packages
> gmime.i386                           2.2.25-1.el5
>      epel
> gmime-devel.i386                     2.2.25-1.el5
>      epel

The newer version of gmime is coming from the epel repo, which doesn't
appear to package gmime-sharp.

> My email client wrapped the rightmost field of some of the output above,
> but it's still discernible that epel wants to update to a newer version
> of gmime, but (as you said) has no corresponding version of gmime-sharp.
>  Conceivably, this could be the problem.  The versions I have of gmime
> and gmime-sharp seem to be from a different repo:

I'm sure this is the problem.

> # rpm -qi gmime gmime-sharp|grep URL
> URL         : http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/
> URL         : http://spruce.sourceforge.net/gmime/

The URL file generally just describes where the original source comes
from, not what repo is being used.  A better indicator of repo would
be the Vendor, Packager, or Build Host fields.

> and so this might be a contributing issue.  So I deleted these two
> packages (rpm -e ...) and then did "yum install" on them... which took
> them from the "extras" repo,

That is interesting.  Did your yum install command specify to install
gmime-sharp?

> (So this wouldn't seem to be a case of conflicting repos.)

I'm quite sure this is a classic case of conflicting repos.

> Now, doing "yum update" again brought me back to the original problem.
> :(  But at least we have more clarity to it: the extras repo doesn't
> have a version update to gmime-sharp, a dependency for the update of
> gmime.

And epel doesn't have the updated gmime-sharp to go with the updated
gmime and gmime-devel.

> So.. what's the next thing to do?

Either exclude gmime from the epel repo or ask epel to package gmime-sharp.

>  Why does the extras repo not have it if it's a dependency?

Because the new version is not coming from the extras repo.

--
William Hooper