[CentOS] RAID 5 setup?

Thu Mar 25 21:52:12 UTC 2010
Slack-Moehrle <mailinglists at mailnewsrss.com>

>As the disks get bigger, rebuild time also increases and the
>performance of the disks don't increase linearly with their storage.
>This means that when you are rebuilding a disk, the chances of one of
>your other disks failing becomes significantly large. Most suggest
>RAID6 these days as a minimum, mirroring and striping appears to be
>the most popular.

I looked up RAID6 and see the addition or a parity bit.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_RAID_levels#RAID_6

RAID 10 is also something I looked at. Striped, then Mirrored

So:

8 x 1.5tb = 12tb

RAID 5 = 12tb - 1.5tb for parity data = 10.5tb space available

RAID 10 = 4 x 1.5 = 6tb - 1.5tb for parity data = 4.5tb per stripe then mirror it.

but with RAID 10, data is safe after many types of failures.