[CentOS] Upgrading to 2.6.32

Nataraj incoming-centos at rjl.com
Sat May 1 21:25:20 UTC 2010

maillists0 at gmail.com wrote:

> On Sat, May 1, 2010 at 4:51 PM, John R. Dennison <jrd at gerdesas.com
> <mailto:jrd at gerdesas.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Sat, May 01, 2010 at 04:44:49PM -0400, maillists0 at gmail.com
>     <mailto:maillists0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > I was wondering whether the standard "make oldconfig" would work
>     when making
>     > a version jump this large.  Are my drivers likely to break?
>
>            *All* bets are off with this.  It's unsupported and for good
>            reason.  Redhat has, literally, *many hundreds* of patches
>     in the
>            kernels they ship that the vanilla kernel kits don't provide,
>            it is entirely likely hardware support is different including
>            drivers.
>

> That's exactly what I was wondering about. That said, I'm willing to
> sort through it all if I can just find the right docs, but I'm just
> inexperienced enough that I don't know where to start looking.
>
> Redhat has a kernel src rpm available. Is that patched? If I started
> with the vanilla kernel, where might I find guidance on how to apply
> the Redhat patches? Is this a completely crazy idea?

While I can't speak for specific features in the redhat kernel, I have
taken the config file that comes with a CentOS kernel and applied it to
a kernel.org kernel using make menuconfig.  I then went quickly through
the options added in the more recent kernel and selected reasonable
values for them.  The resulting kernel ran just fine, but, as I said I
was not trying to use any new features added by redhat.  Note, that you
want to build the new kernel under the CentOS release that you'll be
running it under.  Perhaps you could apply a procedure similar to this
using the RedHat 6 kernel instead of a kernel.org kernel (building with
the CentOS 5.x or whatever config file and then changing the options
that you want to change - you might have problems if you try to enable
features not supported by older lib files).

Nataraj