[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Brendan Minish bminish at minish.org
Sun May 2 20:32:53 UTC 2010

Rudi Ahlers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Is it possible, safely, to resize /var while a server is running? I
> urgently need to resize a full 2GB /var on a running server which is
> located at a remote location where no one can get to it for 2 days?
>
> The system runs on lvm.

Growing on line EXT3 file systems on LVM has always worked ok for me.
shrinking needs to be done off line but growing on line File systems has
not given me any trouble to date.

I expect that the likelihood of problems with this is proportional to
the distance from your current location to the server though ;-)

regards
Brendan