[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Rudi Ahlers rudiahlers at gmail.com
Sun May 2 21:01:55 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Kwan Lowe <kwan.lowe at gmail.com> wrote:

> > I've also safely grown LVM volumes online, but /var is a bit more trickey
> > since a lot of stuff runs straight from it .So I don't want to attempt
> this
> > if it's going to break the whole system.
>
> OK.. get you now..
>
> The main thing to keep in mind is that you'll need a little bit of
> free space in order to grow /var. I grow /var often on many systems.
> There's also a possibility that you'll need to run tune2fs to grow the
> journal to allow a larger maximum filesystem size. This cannot be done
> with /var online though.

heh, there's plenty space left on the drive:

[root at zaxen02 ~]# pvscan
  PV /dev/md1   VG LVM01   lvm2 [232.69 GB / 141.69 GB free]
  Total: 1 [232.69 GB] / in use: 1 [232.69 GB] / in no VG: 0 [0   ]

As far as I know, one needs to unmount a volume in order to resize it, but
/var can't be unmounted.

I wonder if I could script something that could run in single user mode when
it reboots,  but
1. how do I tell it to reboot in ginle user mode, via SSH?
2. how do I tell the server to login by itself, i.e. don't need someone to
type in the root password @ the console, then check to make sure it's in
single user mode?

>From here could be as simple as unmouting /var, running lvresize +2GB
/dev/LVM/var etc

Has anyone done anything like this before, with success? i.e. do you have a
working procedure / script to share with me? I won't be able to test the
process, if it fails then I'm stuck