[CentOS] is it possible to resive /var online?

Kwan Lowe kwan.lowe at gmail.com
Mon May 3 01:10:45 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 2, 2010 at 8:23 PM, Brendan Minish <bminish at minish.org> wrote:
> On Sun, 2010-05-02 at 19:12 -0400, JohnS wrote:
>
>> Sounds good but I really do wonder if he has a hardware raid controller
>> that does not support resizing of Linux LVM on top of the HW Raid Volume
>> Set??  No one asked that part.
>
> Surely if the Volume group has unallocated space extending the LV should
> not be a problem since it is not altering things as seen at the raid
> controller level. Or am I missing something?

Yes, the LVM layer is distinct from the raid level. In some other OSes
it is more tightly integrated (bound, coupled, mashed together). It is
possible, I suppose, that if the underlying physical volume is backed
by an over-commited, data deduped device then resizing an LVM inside a
VG could cause issues though :D..