[CentOS] gcc? (w/ a bit of "vi vs. emacs")

ken gebser at mousecar.com
Mon May 3 16:06:57 UTC 2010

Find research and analysis on US healthcare, health insurance,
and health policy at: <http://healthpolicydaily.blogspot.com/>

On 05/03/2010 10:37 AM m.roth at 5-cent.us wrote:
>> Nobody's mentioned glade2-- or as its listed in the gnome menu, "Glade
>> Interface Designer".  It's a drag-and-drop GUI for creating windowed
>> apps.  I.e., you select which widgets you want and drop them onto a
>> window, configure them, and then use whatever editor you want to create
>> the back-end code.  Glade creates your app's code in variety of
>> different programming languages, C included.
>
> Interesting.

Yeah, it's so cool, I don't understand why there aren't a bazillion
Linux GUI apps for everything.  It makes creating GUI apps actually fun!

>> For an editor I use emacs because I can use it for just about anything
>
> vi.
>
>> from creating plain text, shell scripts, html docs, and C code.  Emacs
>> isn't just configurable, it's programmable.  You can write code to add
>> or change the functionality emacs provides.  It's been around since the
>> '60s and isn't likely to go away anytime in the next few decades.
>
> I could swear it had only been around since the eighties.... At any rate,
> yes, emacs, the windowing operating system masquerading as a programmers'
> editor....
>
>          mark "we should take this to alt.religion.editors"

Yeah, I wish I had a nickel for every time I said "emacs" on a mailing
list and someone came back "vi".  I'd own a paradise island somewhere.  B-)

Just to earn myself another mythical nickel, I'll say:  With emacs
tramp-mode I can, in a local emacs window, open a file on any other
machine in the world to which I have ssh access.  This functionality has
come in handy countless times when doing work sysadmin stuff from home,
website development, and editing files on other machines on my home
network.  There's barely any load on the remote machine and on the local
machine it's just about the same experience as editing a local file.

I should say too that I've been using vi just about every day for more
than a couple decades and it's fine for lots of occasions when I just
want to make a few small changes or create a small file.  But for
creating or editing files, jumping around inside of them, complex
cutting-and-pasting, in files upwards of a megabyte and/or files
containing those idiosyncratic French, Spanish, and German characters
and even the entirety of Greek, Pali, Japanese, Sanskrit, Chinese, and
Russian alphabets, emacs is what works for me.  And for other reasons too.

Different (key) strokes,
ken