[CentOS] Benchmark Disk IO

przemolicc at poczta.fm przemolicc at poczta.fm
Thu May 6 08:33:57 UTC 2010

On Thu, May 06, 2010 at 12:56:55AM -0700, John R Pierce wrote:
> przemolicc at poczta.fm wrote:
> > The above numbers are true if we have random (!) IO pattern.
> > In case of sequential (!) IO even SATA disks can deliver much, much higher numbers.
> >

> sequential IO is remarkably rare in a typical server environment

Yes, of course: Oracle's redo logs which are key performance factor for all
transactions (inserts/updates) have sequential IO pattern.
And Oracle is not a typical server environment ....

> anyways, the IOPS numbers on sequential operations aren't much higher,
> they are just transferring more data per operation.

I didn't say that they _are_ much higher. I said that even SATA
disks can deliver hight IOPS on condition of sequential IO.

Regards
Przemyslaw Bak (przemol)
--
http://przemol.blogspot.com/