[CentOS] Benchmark Disk IO

Chan Chung Hang Christopher christopher.chan at bradbury.edu.hk
Thu May 6 14:39:12 UTC 2010

Les Mikesell wrote:
> On 5/5/2010 12:00 PM, Karanbir Singh wrote:
>>> Try to run the same IO operations as your production server is running.
>>> Bonnie++ could be good application for benchmarking. Also run some
>>> parallel rsync, rm, find, etc proccesses.
>>>
>> I am with John Pierce on this one, role and app will dictate benchmarks
>> that reflect reality.
>>
>> Having said that, I think iozone>  bonnie++
>
> If the job involves creating/deleting lots of little files like a mail
> server with maildir format storage, you might try to dig up a copy of
> postmark too.

Les, you have got to be joking. There is not a single fsync/fsyncdata
call in postmark. postmark is completely unsuitable to mimicking mail
queues or deliveries to maildirs. I, for one, am glad that Netapp has
stopped advertising and have pulled their 'fake' benchmarking utility.
It might have been relevant on Linux when it did not have barriers and
fsync/fsyncdata had zero guarantees unlike the BSDs and UNIX operating
systems.

For delivery to maildirs, you want to use fsbench from Bruce Guenter,
which does the right thing.