[CentOS] ldap: adding user to multiple groups

Paul Heinlein heinlein at madboa.com
Thu May 6 18:35:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, 6 May 2010, aurfalien at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not having much luck adding a user to more then 1 group in OpenLDAP
> thats provided in Centos.
>
> Any suggestions to have the outcome of having a user belong to
> multiple groups?
>
> Should I create a new group that has multiple GIDs and assign a user
> to that new group?  If so, how? :)

Each posixGroup can have multiple memberUid entries. In our
environment, a memberUid is specified by username (not numeric uid); I
suspect that's normal practice, but you might want to get confirmation
from others.

A user's posixAccount record has no backward mapping of group
memberships; it only contains the standard gidNumber entry.

In short:

  1. Define the posixGroup DN
  2. Add one or more memberUid entries.